Root Canal Treatment is a procedure that is done to save the tooth if the pulp is severely damaged or infected. Many people think that the procedure is painful and that it only causes pain to a patient. However, the fact is, it removes the infected pulp that causes extreme pain. At Buckhead Atlanta Dentistry, we provide root canal treatments that can help save and repair the patient’s tooth to prevent further damages. We serve the community of Buckhead, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Roswell, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Smyrna, Vinings, Marietta, Lilburn, Conyers, Decatur, Brookhaven, and the surrounding areas.
Why and When do you need a Root Canal Treatment?
A root canal treatment is needed to save an affected tooth structure that has an inflamed pulp. The inflammation of pulp can be caused by several factors such as deep decay, multiple dental procedures performed on a single tooth, faulty crowns, and chip/ crack. Trauma on a tooth can also cause pulp inflammation without any visible signs of cracks or chips. A root canal treatment should be performed urgently to ease the pain and discomfort that a patient feels when their tooth is inflamed. Urgent treatment is also essential in making sure that the damage would not progress further down the teeth.
How is a Root Canal performed?
- An opening would be drilled on the tooth to gain access to the pulp.
- The diseased tissues would also be removed by using needles and rinsing solutions to make sure that everything that is infected would be completely removed.
- Calcium Hydroxide is placed in the root canal to kill any remaining bacteria.
- Gutta-percha would then be applied to the drilled area to cover it and keep away bacteria from entering and reinfecting the tooth.
- After putting the gutta-percha, a dental filling will be used to cover the opening
- Dental crowns will then be placed on the tooth to protect it from further damages and also to restore its appearance and function.
Benefits of Root Canal Treatment
- It reduces pain. Root canal treatment is not as painful as people think, the pain it causes when inflamed is much worse compared to the actual procedure. The procedure removes the affected tissues and the nerves which can ease the pain and discomfort of the patient. Local anesthesia could also be performed to guarantee a painless and comfortable dental treatment.
- It can stop Infection. A tooth’s root has nerves which the bacteria can use in traveling to the other parts of your body. Infections can travel through the bloodstreams to different parts of the body. The treatment can remove bacterias to ensure the safety of your overall health.
- Preservation of the tooth is possible. There are two types of procedures to perform to stop an infection from spreading in the mouth either by root canal or by extraction. An extraction can leave the area vacant affecting the aesthetic appearance of the patient’s overall smile. However, with root canal treatment, it will only remove the affected part inside the tooth without affecting the outer surface. It helps preserve the structure of the natural teeth and prevent surrounding bones and gums from receding.
- It can restore Smile. An infected tooth can cause you pain and discomfort, but it also has visible effects. The affected tooth can appear as severely discolored due to the bacteria that is inside the tooth. Teeth whitening can’t fix the condition, but with root canal treatment, the appearance of the tooth can be enhanced.
For Root Canal treatment in Atlanta, schedule an appointment with Buckhead Atlanta Dentistry. You can visit us at 3525 Piedmont Rd NE Building 8, #420, Atlanta, GA 30305.